Sunday, May 26, 2013

DIY Mugs

Before my awesome boyfriend asked me to move in with him, I decided to send him a package to let him know I was thinking about him and to keep our long distance relationship exciting.

When you're in a long distance relationship, time apart is often spent just getting through each day- work, eat, cuddling with the pooch, sleep. Just getting through each day until you get to see them again. Sometimes you miss the other person tremendously and that can take a toll on your everyday attitude. Fortunately, both he and I are very happy-go-lucky people who don't mind spending nights with our puppies and wishing we were doing so together.

Sending each other packages or letters in the mail gives you something to look forward to, even when you don't get to see them every week. Planning what to put in the package, thinking about that person and what they'd find meaningful- it's exciting stuff people :) It makes you think about your significant other in an enthusiastic way as opposed to the sad, "I miss you so much," miserable way. Anticipating their reaction when they open your package or waiting to receive yours gives you way to keep things hopeful and fun despite the distance.

Anyways, before Stephen asked me to move to Charlotte I decided to send him a package that included a diy project I worked on especially for him (just to make sure he was thinking about me haha.)

Now every time he drinks his morning coffee before work, he gets the pleasure of a "good morning" from me, even though I'm usually fast asleep, 380 miles away, when he wakes.


I sent him the "Good Morning, Handsome" mug, along with a picture of me grinning holding my coordinating mug. (He tells me often that he loves that picture- 5 points for having a great boyfriend.) I also sent him a gorgeous card with a water color print on it from The First Snow Fall. In which I wrote a very personal, probably-too-revealing, letter to him so he knew exactly how I felt about him.
Finally, I topped the package off with Hershey's hugs and kisses (to hold him over until he could have mine again) and a picture of me and Claire.

I'm pretty sure he loved his package and I got one from him the day before his arrived in Charlotte. I'm so appreciative of my thoughtful guy, and I can't wait to drink our morning coffee (for him, orange juice for me) together in our awesome mugs! Only 5 weeks until the move! Eeek- I am so thrilled.


To make your own DIY mugs
  • Coffee Mugs from the Dollar Tree
  • Oil Based Sharpie Marker from Michael's
I used pencil to try to perfect my handwriting before committing to it in permanent marker. Then I traced the design using an oil based marker. THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT- make sure you buy the oil-based Sharpie and not the regular, water-based Sharpies. Regular sharpies will wash off.
 
After the marker dried, I put it in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees to help "set" it. Then you're done! The mugs seems to be holding up great so far but we've been washing them by hand so they haven't been proven dishwasher safe.

Helpful tip- if you mess up and want to remove the marker, you can use acetone nail polish remover to fix your mistakes or start all over again. (I did this more than once haha.)


Do you guys have any other suggestions for keeping a long distance relationship exciting and happy? Even though I won't be in one for much longer, I love hearing how other people keep things fun.

Happy crafting lovely readers.

xoxo

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift idea! It could certainly be adapted to fit anyone in your life.

    Thanks for linking up to the Inspiration Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for hosting it! And I know- I plan on making monogrammed ones soon :D

      Delete
  2. These are absolutely adorable! My husband and I are not morning people, so this would be a sweet way to say hello in the mornings, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I used to be a morning person but not so much anymore. I use it whenever I want to drink orange juice though :)

      Delete
  3. How do you know the sharpies are oil-based?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oil based sharpies will say "oil-based" on the marker, right under the Sharpie logo :D

      Delete

Hello gorgeous, I love reading your comments!